I felt that it was important to research how climate change affects our trees because my group’s senior project revolves around the problem of deforestation and how that contributes to greenhouse effect and climate change; which in return affects our environment.
Downing, Keith. "Exploring the Gaia Theory: Artifical Life on a Planetary Scale." The Norwgian Univeristy of Science and Technology. Web. 1 Mar. 2010.
“However, since Gaia embodies the notion of organisms making the planet more livable for each other, some positive relationships between population size and average fitness will often occur, but these are often more emergent phenomena than the negative connections, which are typically implicit in resource limited situations.”
About the quote above:
I tried to find a source that would give me some information about the “Gaia Theory” because my group was thinking about incorporating it into our senior project. The source I found was pretty heavy and hard to understand however, I did find one quote that I really liked (shown above). It made me think about how I can possibly incorporate the problem of population in with my group’s senior project. Since population size affects several aspects of the world’s problems today, including global warming.
“Increased carbon sequestration would remove more CO2 from the atmosphere (a negative feedback that lessens climate change), whereas carbon losses through forest disturbances would result in more CO2 entering the atmosphere (a positive feedback that strengthens climate change). The IPCC (2007) concludes that “net carbon uptake by terrestrial ecosystems is likely to peak before mid-century and then weaken or even reverse, thus amplifying climate change.”
About the quote above:
This quote explains how trees are important in that they absorb CO2 out of the atmosphere. Trees with an increased carbon sequestration would remove more CO2 where as one with less carbon (due to forest disturbances) would not. (It’s pretty straight forward and to the point)
"Forests | Climate Change - Health and Environmental Effects | U.S. EPA." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 15 Oct. 2009. Web. 26 Feb. 2010.
“Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases such as ozone, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and chlorofluorocarbons, are all increasing in the atmosphere. These gases are directly affecting biological processes in trees and ecological processes in forests. They are also causing considerable radiant energy to be trapped near the earth’s surface resulting in the so-called “greenhouse.”
About the quote above:
When I was reading part of this book on Google Scholars I learned a lot about how carbon dioxide effects the environment. I chose to focus on the information climate change how that affects the trees. The most interesting line in this quote was, “These gases are directly affecting biological processes in trees and ecological processes in forests.” In the future I plan to look more into how the gases directly affect the trees ability to process.
Karnosky, David F. "IUFRO: Publications / Publications." IUFRO: IUFRO – The Global Network for Forest Science Cooperation. Sept. 2001. Web. 26 Feb. 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment